Secure—Today's computer systems frequently hold a company's most valuable asset: information. Without the proper security you can easily put your entire company at risk. Security doesn't stop with virus and firewall control; it spreads to your custom software systems, your disaster recovery procedures, and your business processes. We'll assist you in making the right decision about protecting your information.
Today's business systems are under attack from all angles—viruses, trojans, spyware, hardware failure, user error, hacking, malicious or criminal internal users, and business disasters. Designing a secure solution means that we need to deliver a combination of hardware, software, custom solutions, backup and disaster recovery plans, monitoring, and fast response when problems occur.
With all these forces fighting against a system, how does OS-Cubed, Inc., help you to design a secure system? A secure solution needs to be based on layers of security, each appropriate to the threat that exists:
- A secure solution must incorporate anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-trojan software at the server and workstation level at a minimum. An integrated system allows us to both install and monitor compliance of the anti-threat software. We'll help you design and implement such a system.
- A secure solution must incorporate security at the network interface. Each solution should allow only the traffic that must be allowed, and should provide monitoring to allow changes in traffic profile or volume to be tracked. Part of this solution relies on properly configured firewalls, routers, and wireless access points. More sensitive data should be protected by dedicated "edge appliances" designed to very closely control and monitor traffic.
- A secure solution must incorporate any custom designed software so that it is designed and implemented with today's security threats in mind. Threats such as SQL injection, buffer overflows, and proper permission setting should be addressed and controlled as part of the initial design, not as the afterthought "if we have enough cash to implement it."
- To have a secure environment users must be updated and educated on security threats so that they can respond appropiately. This is why OS-Cubed, Inc., sponsors the Viruswarn site and newsletter. Through the site and its newsletter you can get up-to-date information about threats and have updates delivered to your RSS reader or your email box in clear, easy-to-read format.
- Secure solutions incorporate backup, restore, and business continuity in their plan. Disasters happen when we least expect them and they never strike at a convenient time. No matter how stable your solution is, hardware can fail, or acts of nature can intervene. That's why when we plan our solutions we ensure that the solution includes backup, restore, and disaster recovery plans for each component of the solution.
- Secure solutions require constant vigilance. Each solution requires planning to ensure that the security of the solution is maintained throughout its life cycle, not just at the beginning. New threats pop up all the time, and a secure solution incorporates continual review of the system's security and continuity plan to ensure that these threats are anticipated and neutralized. Updates should be easy and safe, and should be applied promptly and purposefully.